Hasta luego Barcelona, Bonjour Geneve ...

|
[slideshow id=432345564231521386&w=350&h=262]

I clearly remember, way back when, how I wanted SO badly to study abroad and how ´abroad´ very clearly meant Chile or Argentina. I recall people suggesting Spain instead, and how I had NO interest whatsoever in what I imagined as being old, uptight and boring Europe. Funny how life is ... some 8 years later I´ve still not been to South America and don´t see leaving Europe any time too soon.

I´ll be the first to say that leaving Spain is not at all easy for me. While I´m sure few others will ever be able to understand this, Spain feels very much like home for me - so much in fact that many times I have felt more "Spanish" than "American". And yet, while other times I have sat on the plane feeling a gut instinct that I would return, this time I sadly admit that that same instinct tells me I will not.

As I think back, a million memories flood my mind ... all the amazing people I met and astonishingle strong friendships made, late nights dancing and solving the world´s problems over a drink or two, being one of thousands playing the impossible game of "keep your residency status legal", excellent food - every day, seeing first-hand how undocumented immigrants are treated in the internment centers (and out), teaching how to eat spaghetti and ride escalators, watching the Antonio Miro fashion show become a high-profile immigration debate, standing witness to racism much more sever thatn any I´d seen elsewhere, traveling, the Barcelona marathon, hiking, relaxing on the beaches, mile after mile of the Camino de Santiago and, and, and ...

So why leave? The short answer is that it seems it was destined to be so, the long answer is that my visas were up in Spain and it was time to move on. Arguably an act of sheer desperation after already sending out dozens of resumes to organizations all over the world, I looked to Geneva - a city I´d always been curious abour because of it´s infamous international scene. Grabbing the Geneva Yellow Pages, I called the first migration related organization on the list to see if they might be able to offer any tips on how/where to find related work in the area (I´d already checked and was bummed to see they had no job openings with their staff). Next thing I know, the woman was asking me to tell more about my experience and I was in Geneva not long after for an interview with the International Catholic Migration Commission (which, I might clarify, is not (necessarily) an aid organization to migrating Catholics, as I was so asked yesterday :-)

After a long list of eerily ´destined´ happenings on my way to start life here in Switzerland, I must repeat ... it´s amazing how life happens! Admittedly meloncholy about closing a very dear chapter of life in Spain, I can hardly complain about the amazing opportunity that I have been given here! Now, if I could just find a roof to find shelter under ....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails